Sunday, February 3, 2013

You can go wild

Those are the words Peter said to me while I was at Andersen's yesterday.  I called and asked if I should pick up a blueberry bush or some ollalieberries.  His reply, "you can go wild."  I even warned him that I had his car and his trunk could hold a lot more than my trunk.  So yes I had fun at Andersen's yesterday.

I ventured out looking for a dwarf apricot tree.  I didn't find one there, but I found one that could be pruned so it only got 10 feet tall at maturity and it only needed 100 hours of temperature under 45 degrees.  It sounded perfect so I bought it.  It was also the last one with such a small chill hour requirement.  While looking through the rest of the trees the only dwarf trees I found were plum, nectarine and peach varieties that all had a chill requirement of about 400 hours.  Our area gets about 300 hours, so these varieties wouldn't work well for us.  On another side of the nursery I ran into the bare root berries.  Last time we were here we bought thornless boysenberry plants.   I looked again and they were all sold out...bummer.  You can't buy boysenberries in the stores here, so I hope the three plants I bought last time produce enough to satisfy our want for boysenberries this year.  Instead I picked up two ollalieberries and a blueberry plant.  Pleased with what I had I headed for the check out.  To my surprise I had hedge points on my account, so I saved $22 on my trip.  I was well pleased!

Back at home I showed Peter the loot.  He has no idea where we'll put a big apricot tree, technically I don't really know either, but I'll enjoy the harvest.  I suggested it go on the side of the house, so we'll see.
Here are some garden pictures:
Connor has been busy plucking all of the ripe strawberries
 Helping water the blueberry bush
 Look at all of our peas!
Our beans haven't done terribly well this season.  
Not sure what the problem is, though we have plucked a few.
Saturday Peter spent much of the day running errands and fixing the front walkway.  I played in the dirt and removed most of the grass and roots in the front yard.  I am eager to get the front yard looking nice.  Frank and his son Randy came over and worked on the bathroom.  They installed some of the drywall, the tub and a few other things.  Frank also helped Peter with the front walkway.
Peter's masterpiece

1 comment:

Kira said...

love it soooo much and I am jelly!!!