Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fun in the Kitchen Parts 3, 4 and Beyond

This morning we made another successful batch of plum jam. It was much less messy than the first batch, I think we're getting good at this. This evening we finished a double batch of regular peach jam. These were great peaches. We bought them on Saturday and left them on the counter to ripen until this evening. Most were easy to peel and all were easy to pit. This morning we left our plum jams upside down too long and now they all have the air bubble on the bottom. It looks kind of funny. This evening as we wait we are hearing a chorus of lids popping. It's quite fun. Some pop immediately when we turn them upside down and others wait a few minutes and then pop. We are totally having fun with the jam. Peter was worried this morning that we wouldn't be able to get rid of the jam. I told him not to worry our previous adventures had left us with only 5 jars left over. Now we have about 30 jars of jam and a lot of friends. :)

Our next adventure involves figuring out how to get rid of 20 pounds of apples. We're giving a bunch to both sets of families and plan on using a bunch as we attempt to make apple butter. Anybody have any great recipes? We've thought of apple sauce, apple crisp and apple pie so far. Anybody close by want some cooking apples? They came from Julian.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Fall apples are the greatest! I love making apple crisp and applesauce with mine. Oh, and apple bread. Love the apple bread. I think this year I'll try apple muffins. Oh, if you just want to cut some up and dip them in warm caramel, I have a great recipe for caramel fondue. Let me know if you want it.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

We made freezer applesauce - so good! Man, I wish I lived close enough for some of your jam!

Lisa said...

I have a recipe for applie pie filling that you can and also apple butter that you spead on toast or bread. Did you go to Julian to buy the apples?

Peter and Mandy said...

No we didn't go to Julian, a lady from our ward went and brought back boxes. She told us a box of apples would cost $10 if we wanted it. I ordered it and then after it was delivered found out that it was 20 pounds of apples. We have given away about half of them, but there's still a bunch left.

Lisa said...

Wow!! you got a great deal. I should go up there next fall and get some!