Sunday, September 21, 2008

Operation save the babies

Operation save the babies was a success. Sunday Peter decided he would try to save the baby fish. This was quite an ordeal because in order to save the babies we had to take the big fish out, then we had to take out the plants and rocks so basically all that was left was the gravel. The babies were pretty easy to spot once the tank was bare, except one which really liked to hide. We found six and then while I was vacuuming the gravel I told Peter I saw another one. He looked and was convinced I had been dreaming. I kept vacuuming and he screams, "There it is, don't suck it up." So in the end we found seven baby fish that stayed safe in a beta tank Sunday.

Monday I bought a baby tank that floats in the big tank. We then had the fun of getting the babies out of the beta tank. Mind you there was gravel in the tank which made the process a little difficult. To our surprise by Monday evening we could only find five fish in the beta tank. Convinced that we started with seven, though Peter tried to tell me that I was seeing things and that possibly we didn't put seven fish into the bowl...I finally found the two hiding fish. The beta tank had a special slotted bottom that was designed to collect fish droppings. It just worked so well that the babies fit through. We finally rescued all the babies and they are all now back in the big tank inside a safe haven.

Today I bought some ghost shrimp and two other fish. We had two ghost shrimp already. Peter goes and looks in the tank and exclaims, "I see a shrimp....oooh I see two shrimp, they're both out today. Wow!!!! (added exclamation here and a sense of bewilderment in his voice) I see three shrimp.....uh Mandy how do we have three shrimp when we only found two when we were cleaning?" Me not being able to keep a straight face (though I would've loved to tell him he was losing his mind and that we always had more) started busting up laughing. Yes I bought ten today (they were $0.26 each).

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow. Sounds like quite a project!

Kira said...

Yeah for baby fish!!!!