Friday, July 4, 2008

Fun in the kitchen

On Saturday we went to Peter's parents house to visit with a cousin that had just gotten married. While we were there we picked a bag full of plums. We took the plums home and went out and bought pectin (stuff to make jam). While at the store I asked if we had enough sugar. Peter said yes. I asked, "are you sure? We need a lot." Peter said, "yes we have a full container." We left the store and ran a few errands, then headed home to make plum jam. We got home tired and decided to make jam Sunday after church. We get home from church and start making it. I asked Peter to help by measuring out 8 1/2 cups of sugar. He opens the cupboard and "Uh oh...Um honey you know how you asked me if we had enough sugar, and I told you we did and you asked again, and I said I was sure, well I was wrong. We don't have enough." So jam making was put on hold. We ran over to his parents house and borrowed their sugar, then headed off to a birthday dinner for our friend. When we returned home we continued with our jam. After I had poured all the sugar in, Peter comments, "I think we need a bigger pot, its going to overflow." "Nah it won't overflow, just keep stirring it." Was my response. Well needless to say it overflowed and we had boiling plum puree and sugar all over our stove. We did a quick grab a pot and pour routine and then wiped down the stove. We eventually finished our plum jam and started ladling it into jars. Now let me tell you, hot liquid into glass jars and I'm supposed to put the lid on how? It was definitely a team effort with hot pads and only a few minor burns. Peter's family told us yesterday that they have more plums for us...we're ready for another adventure :)

3 comments:

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I made raspberry freezer jam a few days ago - thank heaven for my mom's food storage which includes enormous bags of sugar. And there was no cooking involved. That is the best way for me to make things. Sounds yummy!

Kira said...

You are my super hero!!!! Don't you love being married? We're never bored! I miss you guys!

Lisa said...

Yeah for the two of you!! I can't wait to start making jams, jellies, etc. again. I used to make everything you can think of right down to pizza sauce and tomato soup!!