Saturday, February 6, 2010

Culinary Adventures

Peter loves to cook! He loves experimenting with new recipes too. Most of the time he finds a recipe on the internet and decides that it sounds good enough to try. He gives it a shot and sometimes it turns out well and sometimes it does not. He admits that sometimes its not the fault of the recipe, after all he went to engineering school and not cooking school.

He remembers having four disasters recently and wanted to blog about them so here you have it:

Disaster #1 Ebelskivers-These are a Danish filled pancakes about the size of a muffin. After our trip up the coast awhile ago we stopped in Solvang and had some of these at a restaurant. Peter then thought it would be great to make some of our own, after all he has an ebelskiver pan at his parents' house. Now the problem with the pan was that it was cast iron so we needed something other than a glass top stove. We took the idea over to my parents' house and tried making them. Well something went horribly wrong and they all stuck to the pan and it looked and smelled awful and we gave up quite quickly and just made regular pancakes.

Disaster #2 Enchiladas- Now we've all had delicious enchiladas so really what could go wrong here? I'm sure the recipe was probably just fine....but the taste was absolutely disgusting!!!! When buying sauce in a can, DO NOT PICK THE CHEAPEST KIND! BLECH! Lesson learned, we tried it and they were not good. To make matters worse Peter hands me a plate and then starts staring at me. I asked him why and he said he wanted to see my reaction to the first bite. Now thinking this is some kind of joke, or perhaps maybe not, I take a bite. It's in my mouth, I'm thinking how I should react to this nasty thing in my mouth. I didn't want to hurt his feelings. I told him I didn't particularly like it, but would eat it anyway. He then takes a bite and says it tastes bad. I picked all the chicken out of mine to eat and then the whole dish went in the trash. It was pretty bad.
He would also like me to point out that he was trying to make a non-dairy type so I would enjoy it. On his side he used cheese sticks :( We'll just say the whole thing was a fiasco.

Disaster #3 Burnt soup! Peter made my favorite type of soup. All was going well until he decided that simmer meant leave the stove on temperature 6 and play a video game with me. Needless to say the stuff on the bottom got burnt and then he stirred it which stirred up the burnt pieces. The soup really tasted fine if you just scooped the stuff on top. So that's what we did. When it got to the bottom we threw it away. It wasn't that big of a disaster but he wanted me to include that in the list.

Disaster #4 Neither one of us can remember what disaster 4 was, but Peter insists there were four....so just assume there were four and we'll continue with the cooking success stories.

Success # I don't know....Peter makes a lot of tasty things like stir fry, sweet and sour, apple pancakes, crepes, and smoothies to name a few. I bought him a new ebelskiver pan that we could use on our stove that was a nonstick type. It got really good reviews from amazon, so I bought it.

So today Peter made ebelskivers.
They were delicious! The ones on the left plate were filled with homemade raspberry jam :) The ones on the right were plain. Both were very tasty! Now they don't look perfectly round, but really it was the first time trying so how perfect do you want them to be? And they shouldn't be gushing jam all over the place either...but they tasted really good. Peter blames his German heritage...he wishes he had some Danish heritage too.

2 comments:

Fred ... said...

I've never heard of Ebelskivers before but they look very good. I might have to try them some time.

Lisa said...

I have heard of Ebelskivers and I've had them before and they are yummy!