Monday, April 20, 2009

Awkward!

Today at work I had an awkward experience with a parent. I was standing watching the kids during dismissal, waiting for the upper elementary teachers to come out so I could go inside. I don't normally go outside on Mondays. While I was out, one of the parents in a car called me over to her car. At which point the conversation goes as follows:
"Have you always been stick thin?"
Me-"Yes"
"Well in that case, Congratulations and when are you due?"
Me-"Um, I'm not pregnant."
"Are you sure?"
Me-Pretty sure.
"Well normally I don't ask unless I know for sure."
Me-(I look down-yup still pretty skinny) "As far as I know, I'm not."
"Oh well that's a little awkward, I hope I haven't offended you."
Me-(thinking-awkward duh! You just called me fat!) "No, I'm fine."
"How old are you?"
Me-27
"Oh you're almost 30. Your metabolism must be slowing down."
Me-(Dude she's saying I'm fat without saying it) "Yeah must be."

So I went back to my classroom and told the other teachers. They were all like, "she said what to you? I can't believe that! You're still super skinny."
Um yeah strange. So I went and weighed myself for giggles. I have gained 3 pounds since graduating college. That's 3 pounds in 4 years, sounds pretty good to me.

So why did this lady think I was pregnant? My only idea is that I often stand with my stomach sticking out. It's kind of my way of balancing. I've done it forever.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

wow! you should have just given her a shovel so she could dig herself a deeper hole!

Lindsay said...

Oh man. That is awkward. If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure it was more awkward for the parent. People, though, really should just not ask that question, and if they're dying to anyway, they should find a way to skirt around it before digging right into the dirt. So many embarrassing, awkward moments could be avoided that way.

Kira said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I would have died!!!! I can't even imagine what your face must have looked like. I wonder if her foot tasted good.

Lisa said...

Wow! How rude! Even if she thought it she shouldn't have said it. I wish I had only gained 3lbs in 4 years!!!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I think it's especially funny, just because you are so thin! It reminds me of that awesome commercial where the guy in the elevator asks the woman if she is pregnant. She smacks him. Much less tactful than how you handled it.