Sunday, October 3, 2010

Baby shower/Nesting

Last Saturday Ellen, Gretchen and Mary threw me a baby shower. Here are some of the cute gifts I received...can you tell who this stroller is? Notice the ears on top :)
Some really cute toys
Diapers and books
Some cute clothes and blankets
I got these from a couple parents at work. The little bear at the bottom was made by one parent and the outfits and blankets came from another parent.

My mom made this for us-it's yellow gingham with bumble bees in the middle to go with the crib bedding.
My mom also made this nursing shawl, and I have been working on crocheting a blanket for some time now. I originally made it for my first nephew who is now in fourth grade, when I didn't finish it in time I decided to make it for my second nephew who is in kindergarten now...again I didn't finish it on time...so now it belongs to Squirt. I think I'm almost done.
Now Peter is enjoying the little things that I keep doing to prepare for the arrival of our little one. Yesterday he told me that I was definitely nesting....I was doing an inventory of our clothes to see how much of each size we have, to determine if we had enough. I have also gone shopping a few times and spent....well I had fun shopping :) I bought some necessities as well as some fun things that I just HAD to have. I got three cases of newborn diapers (the kind with the bellybutton part cut out) Now with babies needing to be changed 8-10 times a day I figured three cases was a good start. Plus they are good for babies up to 10 pounds, so hopefully this moose is smaller than that. (Oh yes I got all the diapers with coupons, so I saved money too.) Then I needed a diaper bag, so I picked up the one I liked the most. All nurseries need a diaper genie too, so I ordered one online and got a great deal. We picked up some cute bibs and some diapering/bathing lotion/powder etc. All with coupons or on sale. I also convinced Peter that we needed the pack and play that has the bassinet in the top for when the baby is really young and I don't want to get out of bed to go get him (I told Peter he could go to the nursery and get him numerous times during the night if he wanted....he decided buying the pack and play was a good idea.) And while we were there they had one swing left, so we got it.
I have also done a bit of online shopping. I'm still expecting a few packages in the mail, but these arrived last week and I have had a great time reading them.
So there you have it....apparently I am nesting...though I like to say I'm getting ready, and I can't help it if I really enjoy buying baby things. Anyone who has had a baby and knows me well has benefited from my enjoyment to buying baby things....things jump into my cart.

I would've included a baby bump picture, but the pictures we took yesterday looked pretty awful....I have also tried many times to video tape the party that takes place in my belly several times every day. When I push record the party seems to end and the second I push stop, the party begins again. I think he is camera shy. So instead I leave you a picture of the crib all set up. Today I'm 35 weeks!
I leave you with one more thing...a link to Ellen's blog to see more stuff from the baby shower. It was a ton of fun. I lost terribly on one of the games too, and well the other game involved guessing how big my belly was using ribbon, so I of course couldn't play that. My mother-in-law was within an inch of the correct length it was fun. Most people were way off...I didn't realize how small I was.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow!!! You are 35 weeks. I can hardly believe it!!!! All your stuff looks great. What's left for the rest of us to get you? ha!ha! I know there will be plenty. I love the topper your Mom made and I love that you are getting the crocheted blanket finished :)Are you on maternity leave yet?

Lindsay said...

Oh my, yes, you definitely are nesting! Be warned, though, that you might not go through all those cases of newborn sized diapers. It really just depends on how big your baby is when he's born, but they only fit up to 8-10 lbs (depending on the brand and the build of your baby). My boys (one who was just shy of 7 lbs and one who was just over 7 lbs) grew out of the NB diapers in less than 2 weeks.

And I just have to say that there's nothing wrong with taking a wardrobe inventory -- tell Peter that if he teases you. :) In fact, you'll be taking those inventories a lot as he grows to make sure he doesn't grow out of cute clothes you have for him before you get a chance to put them on him. :)

It sounds like you're having a blast getting ready! I hope these last few weeks are as comfortable for you as possible. :)

Lindsay said...

Oh, I was also going to say -- the sure way to tell if your baby has outgrown his diapers? If he consistently wets through them. It always takes me a while to realize that's the problem, but sure enough, when I move them up to the next size, the leaks stop. :)

Peter and Mandy said...

No, not on maternity leave yet. Though I have everyone on high alert at my work. I freaked out my co-worker when I told her that the doctor said I could have the baby anywhere between 37 and 41 weeks, though in my case they won't let me go over 40 weeks unless it is a day or two. I had planned to work up until I pop, but I have basically changed my mind now...I think if I make it through to the end of October I will do that.

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

okay that stroller was made for you Mandy! :) POOH BEAR!

Kira said...

I LOVE buying baby stuff and it has continued into toddler stuff! Such great fun!!! I look forward to seeing you :-)

melissa @ 1lbr said...

What a cute bunch of goodies! I love the stroller. I'm dying to see your bump again.