Saturday, January 15, 2011

27 Minutes

So I have been reading "On Becoming Baby Wise." Which was highly recommended from my sister-in-law who has a 5 month old who sleeps through the night and goes to bed without fussing. The book says that there are many things to avoid to get your child to sleep but the three most important to avoid are:

1-Don't let the child fall asleep while nursing.
2-Don't rock the child to sleep.
3-Don't let the child sleep in bed with parents.

Guess how many of those we do?...Yep all three. So I ordered the book and it arrived on Wednesday and Thursday I started following the techniques. Some of which I was already following, but many I was not. What I really wanted to get out of this was that Connor would go to sleep in his crib and be able to self soothe if he woke up early.

So Thursday morning he was up at 5:30. I fed him and then we played a little and then I wrapped him up in a miracle blanket and put him in his crib while he was still awake. I listened to him cry for 27 minutes before he fell asleep. Throughout that time he calmed himself down several times so there were times that he was quiet, then he would cry a little. Once he was asleep he slept for 2 hours. At the end of 2 hours I checked on him (I checked on him numerous times while he slept) and he was awake and happy. I changed him and he threw smile after smile at me. I fed him again and he started falling back to sleep. We had some tummy time and then it was time for another nap. He cried 2 minutes and then was quiet. Was this some kind of miracle? The evening nap was a bit trickier and he ended up falling asleep in the swing and then nighttime was a bit hard too. He cried for 30 minutes and wasn't giving in so I picked him up and rocked him to sleep and then put him back down. He slept in 3 hour increments during the night which is pretty usual for him.
Thursday photo-check out the cute socks. This is a miracle blanket, but we don't wrap up his feet anymore because he always kicks his way out of it within a couple of minutes.

Friday the morning naps went like clock work. He didn't fuss at all when I put him down. He talked to himself and kicked his legs and went to sleep. His evening naps weren't too bad either. Though he really wanted a pacifier and calmed down really fast after having one, but couldn't keep it in his mouth. So I rolled up a receiving blanket and propped it against the pacifier so if he spit it out, he could still reach it to suck it back in. He also took one while in the Ergo while we shopped at Costco. Nighttime he was fed and then rocked and put down. He slept for 5 hours 11:30-4:30 and then was changed, fed and barely rocked and put back down. He slept almost another 5 hours (4:50ish-9:35). He woke up briefly at 8:30 and went back to sleep. I felt great this morning when I woke up.
Friday photo-My ingenious plan to hold the pacifier in. The pants he is currently wearing he was able to kick himself out of. He really hates having things on his legs/feet.

4 comments:

Karina said...

I LOVE Babywise. Bradley slept through the night at 8 weeks because of that book. I do know a lot of people who don't like this technique, but it worked us. Doesn't it feel amazing to have a good nights rest?

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Remind me to visit this post when I have a newborn...

Lisa said...

I think I should have written that book! We were practiced that will all of our kids starting with Kira and we never read the book! With Kira though we went 20 mins. not 27 mins. My kids were all great sleepers :)

Amy said...

Baby Wise is what we have used on our two kids and works pretty well! Congrats on having him sleep 9 hours straight! Just wait till they sleep 12. Fantastic!