Thursday, December 8, 2011

Completely Lost!

Tonight was Peter's work's Christmas Party. Spouses and children are invited and it's quite a bit of fun. Peter was really looking forward to showing off his cute little kiddo. We even dressed Connor in a cute set of Christmas overalls. So anyway we head out with a map and set of directions in hand. All directions are for side streets. Peter questions it, but decides to follow it anyway. Peter is driving and I'm in the back seat giving Connor some Cheerios to munch on. At some point (after several U-turns) Peter decides he really needs me to drive so he can give me the directions. So he pulls over and then gets in the passenger seat, I get in the driver seat. We're off again-making an (I'm sure illegal) U-turn. We think we know where we're going, but are really not quite sure....at some point Peter says, "We were only supposed to drive 2 minutes down the road and then turn.
"We've been on this road for a long time, should I turn around?"
"No just follow this road and maybe something will show up on this map and we'll know where we're going."
"How about you call Greg and get directions."
"No, we don't know where we are. I'll get out the GPS to get a map of where we are."
"The GPS doesn't work."
"I just need it to turn on and give me a map."
"Ok."
He gets the GPS out, turns it on and it searches for a signal. Then it starts talking, "Turn left in 2 miles, turn left in 2 miles, turn left in 2 miles (repeat at least 10 times). Off route, recalculating...turn left, turn left, turn, turn, turn left in 200 feet."
"I think the GPS is possessed."
Peter tries to turn the volume down..."5, 5, 5, 5, 5....lost signal."
"Ugh!"
"Hey this street sounds familiar, should I turn on it?"
"Let me check."
"I'm turning on it." (Mind you I had a big truck on my tail.) "Okay, now where?"
The conversation went on while we made a few more twists and turns and passed a lot of signs that we couldn't read because it was too dark. By now it is 6:45. The party started at 5:30 and we had been driving for over 45 minutes. It should've taken us about 20 minutes to get there. Connor was starting to get a bit tired/hungry/annoyed that he was still in his car seat, etc. And we were beyond frustrated that we couldn't tell where we were.
"How about you call Greg and tell him we're completely lost and if we ever find civilization, we're heading home." So he does. We can't tell Greg where we are, because we don't know. Then the phone cut out. At this point there's a green lit tree ahead..."Um, Peter, I think we made a full circle, cause I recognize that tree up there."
"You've got to be kidding me."
Well sure enough 20 minutes later we were back in a place we recognized-only because we had been there before, but we don't know where we were.
"I saw a sign that said Escondido 11 miles that way, I'm heading there." Well loooooong story shorter, we eventually found out where we were (on the other side of lake hodges). When we stopped being totally lost, we were near the mall. We hopped on the freeway and headed home. 1 1/2 hours later we were at home. We will print our own directions next time.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

That stinks!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I am freaked out most by the possessed GPS - sometimes I think ours is too: "recalculating"

Fred ... said...

I learned long ago that you can't trust other peoples directions. Now days I ALWAYS say, "Just give me your address and I'll find it". It works so much better.

Kira said...

oh how sad!!!!!!