Wednesday, July 31, 2013

DMV fun

  I'm tired!   I had a doctor appointment this morning-that was fine.  My mom watched Connor so I could go to the appointment without him.  Later on my mom came over and painted some baseboards.  After lunch we took a nap-had I not gotten in a nap I'm sure I would've fallen apart this afternoon.

Then this afternoon I had an appointment at the DMV...that wasn't so fun.   My appointment was at 3:50, I made it about 2 weeks ago knowing that my registration was about to expire and I hadn't received the new information because of our move and the fact that the car is registered under my maiden name and therefore we didn't have that mail forwarded.   Okay, yes I know, my bad-but seriously I went in a year ago to get a new drivers license and apparently they couldn't change the address on the registration then.  Why you ask?  I don't know, but I could today...well sort of.   Okay so I went in knowing that today is the last day of the month and therefore my registration will not be good as of tomorrow.   The lady tells me that my registration expired on July 28th....what?   Apparently I have been driving illegally since then...oh joy!   Then she continues to give me more good news...my car needs to be smogged AND it has a recall item that needs to be fixed before they can finish the registration paperwork and give me a new sticker.   Lucky me!   I pay the registration fee, she gives me the info so I can get the recall fixed and sets me up with the next available DMV appointment time-August 5th.   She also gives me a paper that I have to fill out that allows me to legally drive my car for one day.   The date must be filled out in the event that I get pulled over, otherwise I could get a hefty ticket.   Seriously I only get one day?!   So with my 3:50 appointment, I didn't leave the DMV until close to 5pm, cause an appointment just allows you to stand in a smaller line to wait for your turn.   I rushed over to the nearest smog shop that I could think of.   I get there at 4:49pm, they take me in and then close the door.   I barely made it in time.   Then knowing full well that it was after 5pm I tried my luck at the Toyota dealership services area.   I was thrilled to find out they were open until 6pm.   However, the recall item on my car takes more than an hour to service, so they have to keep my car overnight.   I said that was fine and then called Peter to come pick me up.   So now I am carless and only have one day that I can legally drive my car, which I'm going to have to use up tomorrow when I pick up my car.   Peter suggested I fill out the paperwork with everything except the actual date I would be driving it and then he'll stay close behind me so it would be unlikely for me to be pulled over.   Then I could fill in the date for August 5th when my next appointment is to turn in the paperwork and receive my sticker.

I'm glad I took a nap today, but I'm exhausted nonetheless.

No comments: